More people are being diagnosed with allergies, and the awareness of anaphylaxis and the recognition and management of anaphylactic reactions is becoming a part of everyday life. Anaphylaxis is an extreme and severe allergic reaction. The whole body is affected, often within minutes of exposure to the substance which causes the allergic reaction (allergen) but sometimes after hours.
Common causes include foods such as peanuts, tree nuts (e.g. almonds, walnuts, cashews, and Brazil nuts), sesame, fish, shellfish, dairy products and eggs. Non-food causes include wasp or bee stings, natural latex (rubber), penicillin or any other drug or injection.
Any allergic reaction, including the most extreme form, anaphylactic shock, occurs because the body’s immune system reacts inappropriately in response to the presence of a substance that it wrongly perceives as a threat.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for those wanting to understand more about anaphylaxis and its recognition and management. The session can be tailored: from parents and carers of children with a history of anaphylaxis, people who work with children, to Dentists and GPs who may require a more detailed clinical approach.
How long does the course last?
The session lasts approximately half an hour and can be delivered as part of other training.
What happens on the course?
The session is delivered as a workshop, including handling auto-injector trainers (Epipen, Jext and Anapen) to promote familiarity and increased confidence, and discussion of adrenaline in the context of anaphylaxis.
How is the candidate assessed and certified?
There is no formal assessment, but you will either receive a certificate of attendance to keep with your First Aid certificate or, if the session is delivered as part of a clinical life support course, your final certificate for this session will reflect the anaphylaxis component.